In first grade, on of the science components we integrate is the life cycle of a chicken. Jackie (my teaching partner) is the lovely mother hen to the chicks we get to keep for a month. We have them in our giant room we share. There are 12 eggs in an incubator, and the students have been watching them patiently for the past 3 weeks. Today, they began HATCHING! We draw names out of a bucket for students to name the chicks. They have been earning putting their name in the "chick naming bucket" for the past 3 weeks. The student who got her name drawn chose to name our first chick Sam. These baby chicks are LOUD, and I don't know how I am going to handle regular 1st grade noise plus peeping chicks for the next month! I took a video of the whole hatch, but unfortunately I saved it to my phone rather than my memory card and it won't let me transfer it to my computer. It is too big a file to email or share from the phone. Maybe I will figure it out later. But here are the pictures I have:
 |
| Sam! | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
 |
| Eggs before Sam hatched |
No comments:
Post a Comment